Below you will find detailed information about the application and selection process.
The application process starts by completing and submitting our online form. You should only start the application if you feel you have the necessary subject knowledge. If you don’t feel you do, then we advise you to begin the application process for an ITT course leading to QTS, so that you can potentially be allocated a place on an SKE course.
Completing the application form
To help you complete your application, we have created a
which you may find useful.
In order to complete the application form, you will be required to provide contact information as well as detailed information about your academic background, eg. degree subject, awarding institution, degree classification, etc.
You will also need to provide a 300-word statement on why you think you would make a good teacher, and a separate 300-word statement on any relevant experience, hobbies or interests you have which you feel will support your application. These statements are your opportunity to demonstrate your subject knowledge and to document any relevant industry and / or school experience. You must also provide details of a relevant referee that can support your application.
The final part of the application form is a brief Computer Science test so that we can be assured of your level of subject knowledge. This test is benchmarked against the recommended subject knowledge for trainee Computing teachers.
You will need to complete the application form in one sitting, as there is currently no option to save it midway through. You are advised to perhaps prepare your 300-word statements offline and to copy and paste them when reaching that part of the application form. There is no time limit to completing the application form, including the test element, but please be aware that your web browser may time-out or refresh, should you leave it for too long.
As part of the application form, you will be asked to provide an indication of your availability over the next few weeks. This is so that we can consider this when we come to organising your interviews.
If your application is successful, you will be invited to the interview stage. The interview stage is in two parts.
The first part will be an interview with a school and will assess your:
- Understanding of school educational environments and current teaching practices;
- Ability to engage with pupils by our observation of classroom activities;
- Familiarity with Computing resources available to teachers and their potential for engaging pupils in the academic discipline of Computer Science;
- Leadership and management potential in the school context;
- Potential for professionally-developing other school teachers in the future;
- Subject knowledge expertise.
Should you be successful with the school-based interview, you will be invited to an interview with one of our industry partners. This interview will assess your:
- Ability to successfully engage with the wider Computing community;
- Professional capabilities and competencies;
- Understanding of the technology sector;
- Subject knowledge expertise.
Should you succeed in all of the application and interview stages, your Scholarship will be awarded based on the following conditions:
- You achieve the required degree classification (if applicable);
- You obtain a place on a Secondary level Computing / Computer Science ITT course which leads to QTS.